Friday, March 13, 2009

The day...

It seems like yesterday when I came back to UK after my pilot study. Here I am, going back again for the purpose of data gathering.

Had a little get together thing yesterday. Not in my best mood.

Something happened at school earlier yesterday. The very last minute, who ever thought that there are so many things that I have to get done (redone)! Plan to go back earlier. Had a last minute shopping. I realise that I didn't buy anything for my mom yet so bought her favorite talcum powder that she used to use when I was still young. At that time, the brand Yardley is the "In Thing".

Dropped by at Kak Zu's place. She is going back to Malaysia for good in April. So this might be the last time I see her and family in UK before I go back. Had a quick chat (since she is in a hurry to go to work) and I have to go back early too. There are couples of things that I need to settle before the guests come.

I haven't pray Asar yet. I was thinking and visualising that I will pray Asar first and cook additional dish, roast chicken wings. Humming softly Cliff's songs.

What a surprise! STOP! I expect too much perhaps. I guess this is the end of get together kind of things. I will miss that. If that's the case, I guess what I can do is, cook something and bring it over to other people's place. At least, I know that I can still doing something that I love, cooking.

I was thinking and wondering about the art of hosting. What does it mean? I guess I will save the question for the long hour flight.

PhD is challeging. Datelines, the wrath from supervisors, writer's block.... all in the exclusive package of doing a PhD. Again, does it mean that we are allowed to be less caring about other simple things?

I always imagine myself and telling myself again and again, doing a PhD gives me a rare opportunity to be a better organiser, planner and implementor. Life after all is not just a PhD. PhD is just a phase that will pass by. It challenges us in many ways. No doubt about it. What make us a PhD survivor? Other than, mental agility and ability, like gifted individuals, it is social harness and adjustability (will explain a bit about it at the bottom). Both are developed over time. It is strengthen when we have to face adversity and able to face it successfully. It is tough. No doubt about that. I know that I have to be strong no matter what.

* Based on various research, it was found that gifted individuals who are able to retain their supremacy of thinking and having healthy social life style are the ones who have social adjustability strategies that they used when they face challenges. So, being a true gifted, mental prowess is not enough.

No comments: