Monday, December 8, 2008

An evening with my supervisor


Last Friday, I went to meet my second supervisor - Steve, since my first - Barbara was away for her sabbatical leave. I was panic stricken for a while since it has been a long while since the last time I met Steve. With a little token that got for him when I went back last August, and my statistical analysis (I printed every single table and whatnot from the SPSS), off I went to his room.

Going to school on that day wasn't easy. It was snowing all day on Thursday so the road was slippery when the ice started to melt (it seems that it takes ages to melt!). I was walking cum sliding here and there on my way to the hilly bus stop and on my way to the hilly School of Education. (If you think all the climbing the hills make me fit as fiddle, yeah you are 0.0000001% correct).

Meeting Steve gave me some assurance that what I am doing is so far so good. Seems that the analysis that I got from doing the factor analysis was meaningful - 1) I can't get the Pattern Matrix from the analysis since my samples are too small - at least I know better how to do it next time, 2) overall - the reliability coefficient with more than 0.9 seems promising, 3) I may need to choose some of the items either to be retained or "scrapped" and 4) I know that to do factor analysis paling cikai your samples have to be more than 1000 (to make it meaningful). Steve asked me when I plan to do my data collection. I told him that I plan to do it next year around March. It seems that I have ample time to refine my instrument. Yeah right! Time passes by so quickly and before I know it, it's already March.



No comments: